Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Skipping the Homework

We skipped the homework, Mrs. Graide
We skipped it because Tom was overworked
Very much overworked

He started looking at the math
And the next thing I knew
He'd burst into tears

Now, I realize homework is important
But it simply can't be more important
Than mental health

And I was very concerned
For Tom's mental health, Mrs. Graide

So I took him out
I took him to the city

I know that this wasn't exactly
The most parental thing I could do
But it was the only thing I could think of

Especially considering
That I just dropped him off

Well, he is seventeen after all
And he did have three friends with him
And considering in six months
I'll have absolutely no say
In anything that he does
It didn't seem like THAT crazy an idea

Mrs. Graide, don't you remember the feeling you had
The first time you did something on a school night
Other than eat dinner and do homework?

...Oh...

...Well, it's quite a feeling, let me tell you

Mrs. Graide, my son, for one night
Stopped worrying about college admissions
And applications and deadlines
And test scores and letters of recommendation
And for one night
He was a kid again

He went to a mall and ate in the food court
He hung out at a college coffee shop
He kissed his girlfriend for the first time
On the top floor of the Tanner Building

(No, I have no clue how he got up there
But what a place to have a first kiss!)

For one night, he got to feel
That thrill that comes
From doing things
You're not supposed to do

Because once he's off at college
All the things he's not supposed to do
Will lead to me getting a plane ticket
And heading across the country
To place him under dorm arrest

Last night
He was happy
And at my insistence
He skipped the homework

So I have come in here
To tell you
That I allowed my son
To skip his homework
And to request that you allow him
To make it up

Should you choose not to
There's nothing I can do about that
But I am at least asking
For you to consider it

Oh, and I also told him
He could take the day off

After all that excitement
Who could get up at 6am
To do Trig?

Hahaha...

See you at graduation

No comments:

Post a Comment