Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sully the Cat Contemplates Baltimore

We're moving to Baltimore

They haven't told me that yet
But that's the plan

I overheard them talking

I pretended not to notice
I just kept playing with the mouse toy

But really I was listening
And wondering
And listening
And wondering
And not sure I was liking
What I was hearing

For one thing,
I have no idea what Baltimore is

I'm sure it's a place
But do they have windows there?

Because I really like my window here
It looks out onto the neighbor's yard
And my neighbor's dog
Is interesting

Will I have a new neighbor in Baltimore?
Will that neighbor have a dog?
Will that dog intrigue me?

So many questions

And I don't do well with change
I really don't

When Cate and Carl got a new couch
I nearly lost it

Where was my soft pillow?

They had GOTTEN RID of my soft pillow

Where was I going to sit?

They didn't think of this at all

I walked by the couch several times
Then looked up at Cate as if to say--

Well, would you like to explain this to me?

It was only then that she realized what she had done
And ran out to the garbage to get my soft pillow
Which then had to be washed
And dried
And finally placed back on the floor

I do my best thinking on that pillow
Which is ironic when you consider
That it was thoughtlessness
That almost got the pillow
Removed from my life forever

Will there be a soft pillow in Baltimore?

Will there be another new couch?

This is all just too much for me

I hope they change their mind
I heard Carl say it's all work-related
So maybe he'll realize
That Baltimore won't work

That here works

That this nice apartment
That always smells like tuna
And has a carpet to scratch
So that you don't even need a scratching post
Works
Really
Well

I hope so
But for now
I'm just going to sit at my window
And wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment