Tuesday, May 11, 2010

At A Party Somewhere

Well, it looks like the party's over

We've reached the end of May
The end of spring
The end of school years
The end of temperate weather

And also, I'm afraid
The end of this little affair

Excuse me while I take a leisurely sip of my drink

Seductive, right?

I know

I hate when parties end
If life happens at parties
Then I suppose the end of a party
Would be the end of a life
Would it not?

Every time I leave a party
It's disheartening to realize
That there are people I won't see again
Until the next party

Darling, you're about to become
One of those people

Oh, it's been a lot of fun
Don't get me wrong

Every fall you come back from London
Or Paris or wherever it is that you go
And we get coffee and discuss our summers

I'm usually here
Stuck at the beach house
Working on a novel
Eating too much cake
Watching the fireworks

And you tell me you worked
That you work work worked
Non-stop, for three months

And I know it's not true
And it doesn't matter

Because you're back
And I love when you're back

So we see all the shows
And we eat at all our old favorite restaurants
And everybody's glad to see we're together again
And the college kids return and make parking impossible
And things are grand

Then a few months later
It gets warm again
And warmer and warmer
And finally its too hot
For us to be so close to each other anymore

And that's when you leave

To be honest, darling
I'm just a little tired...of the leaving

It exhausts me to see you go
And it's becoming more and more bittersweet
When you come back
Knowing that times goes quickly now
Knowing that months are minutes
Knowing that maybe one day
You just won't...

...Come back

So I've decided to beat you to the punch
I'm going to drop the other shoe
And I'm going to leave

No more beach house for me
No more big hats
And air-conditioning
And dreary nights lying awake
Wondering why you're not there next to me

For the longest time I thought home was a flexible thing
I thought you could move it around
And make it wherever you needed it to be
As long as you were happy

But now I know home is the person
You leave the party with
Happy to be going home

It's year-round
And it's permanent
And it makes you forget
There are seasons
And time

Until one day you look up
And the party's over
And you didn't even notice
Because you were having such a good time

You're a good party, darling
But one way or another
I always end up sitting by myself
Finishing my drink
And listening to the band's last song
Becoming very aware
That I'm going home alone

Like tonight, for example

And so, something must be done

Hang on, finishing the drink

Watch me sip

I finish a drink like nobody else can

Annnnnd...

Ta dah

I'll miss you, you know
But I'm sure we'll bump into each other again
Perhaps at a party somewhere

You'll be checking your watch
Wondering how long
Until you can get an urgent phone call
And make a quick exit

And I'll be on the floor dancing
With some permanent fixture
Telling me how divine I look
While I distractedly nod and glance at the door...

Watching you leave

Again

No comments:

Post a Comment