Sunday, May 16, 2010

Departures

I have to drop Luis off at the bus depot
Tomorrow at ten

He's going to Philadelphia
He got a six-month contract
At Hamilton Crandall
And after that
He'll be home

This weekend I'm taking Anise to the train station
She's going to Austin
Where she'll be for the next year
Doing spot ops for the Turner Corporation
And after that
She'll be home

At the end of the month
I have to bring Oliver to the airport
He's going to Paris
To intern with Ju Noir
For an unspecified amount of time
And after that unspecified amount of time
Presumably, he'll be home

I'm not sure I can keep going on like this

All these...

Departures

Since when did being professional
With professional friends
Mean making new friends constantly

Learning to sum up your entire life in two and a half minutes
So that you can maneuver around parties easier

Maybe it's something I learned
At a networking meeting

Before you just moved to New York

If you lived in New York
You'd be fine
Because nobody ever left New York

Now everybody leaves everywhere
And as soon as they get somewhere else
They start planning where they're going to go next

I get this sinking feeling
One day we're all going to look around
And realized we've never been close to anybody
For more than a few months

I just think it's a rotten way to live

I remember being a kid
And seeing a school production of "Our Town"
Thinking it was pathetic

A bunch of people
Stuck in the same small town their whole lives
Not changing professions
Not venturing out anywhere

But now I can see the allure

It would be so nice to drive down a street
And not remember who USED to live there

This entire town
Is becoming one big
Memory map

But I guess I'm guilty of it myself

I think of where I would go
If I planned on staying somewhere forever

New York--but not in the summer
Miami--but not at Christmas
Tuscany--but I'd never be able to let go of my stress

It comforts me

I guess I'll just keep moving too

And maybe one day
I'll get too tired to move

Maybe we all will

If that happens
I just hope we like
Where we all end up

No comments:

Post a Comment