Saturday, December 19, 2009

All the Dates I'd Take You On

I'd take you to an Italian restaurant
Where we'd be asked to leave
Because we're not dressed properly
And so we'd go behind the restaurant
Into the alley
Where we'd eat spaghetti
And I'd push a meatball towards you
Using only nose
And three funny chefs
Will sing a song to us
About the night and the moon

I'd take you to a private beach
Where we would fall down on the sand
And the waves would crash around us
Making our lips taste like salt
And our kisses like sugar
And our bodies twist up
Along with the ocean
And we recede back into the water
Like mermaids before the dawn

I'd take you ballroom dancing
In an all-blue ballroom
Where the stars come down on us
From a glass ceiling
And guests at an exclusive party
Whisper and converse
Wondering who we are
And how we got in
And if we know each other
Or if we're just strangers in love

I'd take you to the palace
I don't know where there's a palace
But I'll find one
And I'll take you there
And I'll make you royalty
Baby, I'll put you on a throne
And let you rule this never punctual kingdom
Where nobody is ever on time
You'll buy everyone clocks
And all will be right

I'll take you to meet my parents
I'll take you to see the falls
I'll take you to a movie
I'll take you to a carnival
I'll take you home

I'd take you to the theater
And we can be theater people
And applaud politely
And know the actors
And know the lines
And think about
When we played those parts

We can be all those happy people
And play dress up
And dress ourselves down
And climb into bed
And hold the morning
Between us

I'd take you anywhere, babe
Just say the word
And we'll go

No comments:

Post a Comment