Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Everything She Sees

She sees softness
In the pillows
In the music
Coming from the alarm clock
That spot on my arm
Where her head rests

She can see texture
But the morning light
Or the way it hits the floor
The way I look like a cave dweller
When I first wake up

I guess I'm glad there's some things
She can't see

When I met her
She made me nervous
Because I'm a confident guy
But a lot of that confidence
Is in my smile
And my eyes
And my body language

And she wasn't getting any of that
And she still liked me

It was very disconcerting

That was five years ago
I'm not upset that she can't see me smile anymore
Now I'm just upset
That she can't look in a mirror
And see her smile

Because her smile
Is a damn knock-out

Sometimes I'll ask her
What she's seeing
When she's not
Because I wonder

Because she must see something, right?
Because it can't be all darkness
It's gotta be something

When you close your eyes
You see things
You see nothing at first
But then your mind wanders

Try it sometime
I try it all the time
Because I want to know
Because I want to know so badly

I used to want to conquer this thing
I used to want to understand it
So that I could...

I don't know

Beat it, I guess

Now I just want to see
I want to see what she sees

So I ask her
I asked her last night

I was sitting on the edge of the bed
And she smelled like toothpaste
Because she just finished brushing her teeth
And I had my shirt off
And she had her arm around me
And her chin was resting on my shoulder

And I asked her what she sees

And she said the softness of my shoulder
And the firmness of my chest
And the moisture in my hair
From the shower I just took

The cotton in my pajama bottoms
The shortness of my bitten fingernails
The stubble around my jaw line

She told me she saw the ocean spray
When we went to the beach every weekend last year
She told me she sees the steak I make
Every Thursday night for dinner
She told me she sees the tips of my fingertips
Just before they brush her hair back
Away from her face

I asked her if she sees anything but me
And she said, Yeah, she sees lots of things
But mostly I'm the thing
She likes to keep an eye on

That's when I laughed
And kissed her
And tickled her a little
And we went to bed

And the last thing I saw
Before the the moonlight graced the floorboards
Was her head gracing
That soft spot on my arm

No comments:

Post a Comment