Sunday, December 27, 2009

Find Me on a Snowy Road

Find me on a snowy road
A back road, near a river
Where the ice creeps up
And steals the surface
Away from the rippling lines

The wishing stones
Get locked in place
And so the wishes stay 'till summer
Floating in place
Waiting to be granted
Or denied

And I wonder if you'll find me
Or if I'll stay trapped as well

Like a figure
In a snow globe
With the shredded paper
Swimming through water
Pretending to float

I blink and I'm in Boston
Next to buildings
Covered in snow
Lights shoveling through windows
To get through
To the street

I anticipate soup when I get home
Soup and old movies
And the image of a fireplace
Dancing in my head

I'll glance at the door
And imagine you coming through it
Shaking off the ice
Of an eight hour day
Shortened by a real snowstorm

Real snow storms
Come without notice

When you know a snow storm's coming
It's just an uninvited guest

Being unprepared
Is more than half the fun

So come run to me, here
Before I make it home
Because I'd like to make it home with you
And fall down at the doorstep
Brushing flakes from your lashes
And sending boots crashing into walls

I can fall into bed
While the world turns white
And watch your pink skin
Go right again
Underneath my touch

We'll collapse into a lost weekend
And wake up Monday morning
As if from a Shakespearian dream
Seeming to have become lovers for brief moments
Throughout a wintry Saturday night

We'll wonder how we made it two days
Without a single fight

But first you have to find me
Find me on a snowy road
Before I disappear
Into the glow

No comments:

Post a Comment