Friday, December 11, 2009

He Knows When to Call

He knows to call when I've been stood up
When I'm still in hurting heels
That crunch my toes up
So that they're practically
Internalized in my foot

He'll call and make me laugh
And ask to come over
And I say 'Yes'
When I wouldn't
If he hadn't called
When he did

But that's the thing
He knows when to call

He calls on the days
When my boss decides
That we don't REALLY need Thanksgiving off
Now, do we?

He comes over and makes me dinner
And we sip wine and have a few laughs
And then he goes home
And then I go to sleep
And we're both okay
We're okay with this
This is fun

Isn't it fun?
It's just fun
Good, clean fun

Like we're two kids
But we're not
We're not kids anymore

When we met, maybe
But definitely not now

And in a normal, progressive relationship
We'd have kids by now
That's how long it's been
That's how long we've been having fun

But whereas some women
May look at at fingerpaint
And tell themselves it's Monet
I call it like it is
And it is fun
But it is NOT much more
Than fun

When he calls
It's fun

And it's...helpful

He calls when I've had fights with my mother
He calls when my car has broken down...again
He calls when my favorite television show is on hiatus
He calls when I'm ready to make a bad decision

And every time he calls
I fall a little bit in love

His voice has this nice quality to it
It's like a late night radio DJ
And a soul singer
And an old friend

And in many ways, he is all those things

If I'm not there when he calls
Then he doesn't leave a message

That's it
Chance missed
Catch him the next time

I don't call back
I did once
But he didn't answer
And then he didn't call
For two months

So I got the hint

He doesn't call on my birthday
I don't think he remembers my birthday

Wait, that's a lie

He did call on my birthday once
But he didn't mention that it was my birthday
So I mentioned it
To let him off the hook
And then he came over
And, actually, if I'm being honest
It was a pretty damn good birthday after that

Would I like something more serious?

Absolutely

I have a list of things I'd like
All of them more serious
Than infrequent telephone calls
From a man I can't get close enough to love
More than I love good wine
Or good sex
Or...

I'd like to love a man more than that
I'd like to see him in many different outfits
I'd like to meet his family
I'd like to go on trips with him
I'd like to know when he was going to call

But for now, he calls
And he seems to know when to call

And for now I like it
And when I don't like it anymore
Or when I find something better

I guess...

I guess I'll just...

Stop answering

No comments:

Post a Comment