Monday, December 21, 2009

Your Husband's Shoes

I still have your husband's shoes
Sitting underneath my bed
Waiting for someone
To pick them up

I still have his thirty-seven cents
Sitting on my dresser
A quarter, a dime, and two pennies
The pennies are for two thoughts
One for you, one for me

He always had change
But he never had sense

Ha Ha

A little joke

I still have your husband's cologne
Soaking in my pillowcases
Lifting up into my dreams
When I'm trying to sleep

I still have his favorite shampoo
On the rack in my shower
And sometimes I pour it into my palms
And wash my face with it
Because, just because

I still make his brand of coffee
It's in my coffeemaker
And the first thing I think every morning is--

He's back
He's really back

I still have a photo of us
At my parent's anniversary
Before I knew...

...Before I knew about you

I still have his baseball cards
The ones you made him throw out
Because there wasn't room in the garage

I had room for them
I had plenty of room
For everything he needed
I had all the room you didn't have

I'm sorry

That's not fair

I'm being mean
Because mean is all I have
You had him
You'll have him, always
And I just have bitterness
And some change
And his shoes

But they're really nice shoes
And you can't throw out a quarter
The two pennies, maybe
But not a quarter

My Depression-era Grandmother
Would kill me for that

But I'll run out of the shampoo one day
And the pillows will lose his scent
And I promised not to buy
Any more of his coffee

It would be one thing if I drank coffee, but...

I don't

So it's just silly

So yes, I'm sorry that he left
But no, I don't know where he is
However, I'm fairly confident
He's not coming back here either

So if you were hoping you'd come here
And raise hell
And get him back
I apologize

I can't give you him
But if you want his shoes

You can have them

No comments:

Post a Comment