Friday, December 18, 2009

Just Make Me Soup

I know you love me
I know you do
I've heard you say it
Time after time

But right now
I'm really not in need of love
I just need soup

So can you make me soup?
Can you do that?

The poetry is lovely
The romantic gestures are lovely
The skywriting was a bit much
But it still lovely

But at the moment
I'm coughing up things
That would make an old priest
Run for the hills

I'm feverish
I'm moody
I'm aching
I'm going more than a little insane

And I appreciate that comfort
Really isn't your strong suit
I realize that a big part of you
Just wanted to chase and catch me

Well you caught me
And I caught a cold
And I need soup

So please

Please
Please

Just make me soup

From now on
Love is no longer poetry
Or cinematic lovemaking
Or elephant rides in Africa
While the sun sets behind us

From now on
Love is soup when I feel sick
And soup from me when you feel sick
And spaghetti on Tuesday nights
And dinner at my Mom's house on Sundays

That, from now on, is love

It's not exciting
It's not riveting
But trust me
It is love

So please, love of all loves
If you really want to love me
Just make me soup

No comments:

Post a Comment