Wednesday, September 12, 2012

All the Deals I Didn't Keep

You know you get to a certain age
And it's all about the deals you didn't keep
Not the ones you did

When you were younger
You came down with something
All the neighborhood kids had it
But you got it bad
And pretty soon you were in the hospital
And they were saying--

'It doesn't look good for him'

And I remember shaking that off
Like--'What do you mean, it doesn't look good?'

I didn't understand that what they were telling me was
You were dying

So I said a little prayer in my head
A simple sort of prayer
And told God if he let me keep you
I'd stay with your Daddy
Even though I'd already started making plans to go

I'd lost your brother Jake
When he was six months old
And I just thought--

No, I can't lose another one

So I prayed
And six days went by
Six

Prayer doesn't always work
Overnight
Sometimes you wait in Hell for six days
And then on the sixth day
They say--Miracle

And I said--There wasn't nothing miraculous about it
God was just trying to decide
Whether or not I was offering him a good deal

God likes the deal
He takes it
Then two years later
I leave your Daddy

A couple of days after that
I find you with beer on your breath

I ground you
Threaten to send you back to your Daddy
And you just look at me
With something extra in you
That I never seen in a kid before

It was God

Saying--Sorry, girl, you didn't keep our deal
Now I gotta give your child to the Devil

So you start in on the bad stuff
And pretty soon
Ain't nothing about you left
That isn't bad stuff

And I know why

Everybody else shakes and cries
Prays for you, the way I prayed for you
Wonders what's gotta snap in you to change
And I feel like tellin' 'em

I know why
I know why she is how she is
And I know she ain't going to get better either

Because her Daddy hit me one time too many
And I decided a deal wasn't a deal anymore
And I took my chances in a little station wagon
And a three-hour drive

But you can't hide
From your promises

So now, here you are
Back in the hospital
Back hooked up to tubes
Got beat up by a man
Probably wasn't no different than your Daddy

A dealer maybe
And a boyfriend
Because that'd keep the product coming
More regular

Even when you were stupid
You were smart
That's what kills me

And that I'm sitting here now
Looking up
Thinking

Right or wrong
A deal's a deal

And nobody's gonna do a deal
With me now

No comments:

Post a Comment