Saturday, September 22, 2012

Swimming in a Fish Bowl

I float above the fake coral reef
And something about it relaxes me

Bertha is turning one today
Which, when you're a fish
And your owner is six
Is a huge accomplishment

Katie overfeeds Bertha
But I'm not going to be the one to tell her that

It's not my place
Although I like Bertha
She gets me

They added a scuba man to the tank today
Which, in my opinion
Destroys the careful aesthetic
That has taken months to achieve

But then again, what can I expect from an owner
Who puts a naked Barbie doll in the tank
And then falls over laughing
Like an anatomically uncorrect doll
Is going to be so pleasant for me to wake up to

I swam out of the coral reef
And there she was
I nearly exploded
From shock

And she stayed there
That awful Barbie doll
For at least a month

It was like living in the Playboy grotto
I even started wearing a robe

You know, I try not to complain about stuff like that
Because my step-brother Kirk
Was assigned to a snake
And he doesn't mind the snake so much
But snakes don't seem to understand the symbiotic relationship
Between themselves and other tank inhabitants
Who are put there
To add a little flavor
To the whole situation

So the snake tried eating Kirk
And it was this big administrative nightmare
And finally he wound up in a hamster cage
Which is so much worse
Believe it or not
Because of the smell
And the endless cycling of those awful wheels

I did a hamster cage for two years
Before they gave me a fish tank
Which is the ideal
I mean, do you have any idea
How many people would kill
To have an exotic fish tank assignment?

Plus the hot water is included
I mean, it's--

So things like the Barbie...

Well, it makes me say--

Gee, why would you give such a nice fish
And such a nice tank
To such a young kid?

But again, not my business

The kid's obviously trying to get somebody's attention
But not my affair
Not at all

I just float above the coral reef
Past the new scuba man
And let Bertha swim around
Underneath me

It's a good life

It won't last long
But while it lasts
It's pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment