Monday, September 10, 2012

Two Days Before They Found Him

Two days before they found him
Everybody else was giving up
But not us
That's just not in our DNA

This other kid from Topeka
Had gone missing
Not kidnapped, mind you
Just missing

Our boy had been taken
Somebody had taken him
And we had the evidence
To back that up
And everybody's all in a tizzy
Because some twelve-year-old
Ran away from a family picnic

My child was three
Three-years-old
And was taken
From us

And within two weeks
Nobody cares

I mean, nobody

Not even the local news
And what else do they have
To talk about?

I'd expect that kinda thing from the national people
But you hope for a little bit more
From the people who report the news
In your own damn state!

Two junkies had my kid
And everybody's all--

'Well, we just have to wait'

I felt like saying--

'Wait for what?  Until they drop my son's dead boy
On my goddammed doorstep?'

I kept saying--

'Put me back on television
And I can give you something.
I start talking and all sorts of stuff could come out
That I didn't even think of
During the first few interviews.
Maybe I saw or heard something
And the blocked it out
Why take a chance on that happening?'

But my lawyer--
And yes, I had a lawyer
Because everything was screwing up
Whatever job they were supposed to be doing
I mean, everybody was screwing things up
It's amazing they found him at all

But anyway, my lawyer says--

'You can't keep going on television.
People are losing sympathy for you.'

And I'm thinking he's lying
But then those polls came out
Showing that, No, people didn't think I hurt my son
Because clearly I love my son
Any idiot could see that
Despite what they wanted to see
I'm sure

The polls say they think I'm innocent
But they also say that they think
I'm using this whole for attention

For attention

Can you believe that?

As if I didn't want to find my son
As if I like going on news shows
To have idiot reporters
Ask me the same questions
Over and over again

As if I didn't hug the shit out of that kid
As soon as they handed him over to me
When somebody spotted him
Playing in those junkies' front yard

They left a three-year-old out
In their front yard
While they did their drugs inside

That's the kind of people who were staying with my kid
While the news people were spending all their time
Talking about some stupid twelve-year-old
From Nebraska
Who probably just ran away with some boy

I mean, no they never found that girl
But I didn't know that at the time

I was worried about my kid, you know?
I was worried because he was three-years-old
And he was scared
And he needed his mother

And I'm trying to get in front of a camera
So I can tell people that
And nobody wants to listen

I even go out and buy a new dress
And get my hair done
So people will respect me a little bit more
Listen to what I have to say
And all it does is make 'em go
'Her son's missing and she's out shopping'

You can't win in this country
I'll tell you that much

No matter what you do
You just can't win

But at least I got my son back

And then those news stations wanted to do stories on me
Then they forgot all about that other missing kid

Finally I got somebody
To listen
So I could say--'I told you so'

'I told you he was alive.  I told you that you needed to keep on me.  To keep putting my face out there--and his!  So somebody could find him.'

Well, at least I got him back
So there's that

And that got me some attention

No big shock there

Everybody loves a happy ending

No comments:

Post a Comment