Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Chances I Took With You

I let the drain clog up
With my broken heart
Cut vegetables up
And threw them away
Left the stove on all night
When the boiler broke
Lit candles underneath curtains
Kept the door unlocked
For no reason at all
Isn't it amazing
The chances I took with you

I broke glass on the carpet
And walked with no shoes
Slammed doors
Screamed at ceilings
Stepped heavily on ledges
Put my pedal down hard
Left myself open
To whatever showed up

Slept on the ground
Ate nothing but junk
Shot up twice a night
And crossed roads in the dark
And nothing seemed to unnerve me
As much as the chances
I took with you

I paraded around with a smile on my face
I got dirty and showed up at fancy places
I ordered and left
Without paying the bill
I swore and I drank
And I still looked good
But I digress
I know how much you loved it
When I was your little mess

Big problems
Big bags to carry
Clogged sinks
Stained rug
Broken glass
Caught the flu
Tripped and fell
Up all night
Domestic squabble
Oh well, oh well

I never partied 'til I passed out
But I couldn't go far enough
To get within reach
Of you

Never loved right
Never did wrong
Never stopped reminding you

That you
Were my
Biggest risk

You were the danger
The rest was the fun

I faced it all
And from behind me
I could hear you

Run

No comments:

Post a Comment