Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Out in Beck Canyon, Looking at Stars

You gotta stop getting in fights with Mom
It's counter-productive
But mainly, it's just pissing me off

She looks at me, she's mad at you
We're twins
She gives me a look
I say, 'I'm not Katie, remember?'
She says 'I know, but--'
And she's thinking that it's hard to be pissed
At just one of us
And unfortunately
I know what she means
Because when I'm pissed at you
I end up feeling pissed at myself too
I guess it's just the downside of this adorably cute connection
The two of us have going on

Just knock it off, all right?
You're living there
And you're living there rent-free
So you should have anticipated
Putting up with a certain amount of Mom's bullshit

I mean, nothing is for nothing
She gets off on torturing us
It's the only pleasure she has left
Now that Dad's gone
So you kinda have to let her do it
And just figure out a way to zone her out
Like everybody else does

She's just worried you're going to wind up like Dad
She's not alone either
The rest of us were just hoping
You'd straighten out on your own
But since that's not happening
Here we are

I lied to you
We're not staying out here overnight
We're staying for a weeks
My trunk's filled with food
And other stuff
And there's a cabin about a mile from here
We can drive to
After we're done spending a night
Looking at the stars
And reflecting on what we should do next

Katie, you need a reset--bad
And I know you well enough to know
That you're not going to get it at home
So I figured, let's come here
Where Dad used to take us
When he needed to clear his head

So we're going to reset
And then see where we're at

Because I need to be able to look at myself again
Without feeling
Like I'm looking
At a ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment