Saturday, September 15, 2012

Scarborough

If you're going to face facts
You have to say it
The house is too much
It's too much to keep up
And she's not gonna say it
And she's not gonna ask for help
So one day I'm going to get a phone call
When I'm at work
Telling me I have to go deal
With my mother

I don't know what it is with her
But she gets more and more depressed
Every year when summer ends
I know it could be seasonal
But Jesus, does she have to act surprised?
Like she didn't see it coming?
She's lived in New England her whole life
And September is still this big shock to her
I just don't understand it

I say we sell the house
And get her a nice apartment in a nice area
Somewhere she can walk to the store
And meet people
And still have a life
I mean, she's not ancient
But we need to all agree
There's a next chapter coming here

You think I like getting older?
You think I like having to transition
Into being a caretaker for my own mother?
At least when Dad was alive
They could look after each other
Now I think of her out here
All by herself, and it...

Don't you think it's weird
That she doesn't talk about being lonely?
I mean she must be lonely, right?
I know she misses Dad
But I ask her how she's doing
And she says--'Fine, I'm fine'

But she says it like she actually means it
And it freaks me out
Because she can't be fine
She lost the man she was married to for thirty-four years
How can she be fine?

At least if we move her closer to us
When she finally admits that she's not fine
We'll be there to, I don't know, break her fall
Or whatever--support her, you know what I mean

I mean, I think of how bad I'm still doing
It's been three years since he...
And I still, you know, I...

I love the beach
I love the house here just as much as she does but...

Eventually it just gets too cold
To stay

No comments:

Post a Comment