Saturday, September 22, 2012

Steve's Quality Market

The truth is, if you want the truth
Steve doesn't like when people do business
When I do business, I should say
Right outside the market

I try to be respectful of that
But hey, I say--aren't I a good worker?
Aren't I here all the time?

So sometimes I have to do business here
It's just the way it goes
And he backs off

He still doesn't like it
But that's okay
Not everybody's gotta like everything

I tell him, 'Steve, we should keep the place open
Twenty-four hours'

Because this is a live neighborhood
People are out late
They shop late
They do business late

Steve says he doesn't want to run
That kind of a business
And that's when I start getting angry
That's when I start thinking
Maybe he's just stupid
Because who talks about
'Oh I want this kinda business'
Or 'Oh, I want that kind'

Business is business
Somebody's offering you an opportunity
You take it
You don't look at it first
And see what you think of it
You just--(Makes a fist)--take it

You understand what I'm saying?

Steve's got a wife
And three kids at home
And he's telling me
What kind of business
He doesn't want
And it's like he's speaking Japanese to me
I swear to God

So I say--'Look, Steve's Quality Market
Has gotta be open all night
To compete with the other businesses
In the area
Who are offering that kind of thing'

I give him the whole pitch
The whole motive
The whole set-up

And he still says--'Steve'
Like that he says it, like really smart-alec kind of tone
'Steeeeeve's not interested'

And then I felt disrespected
And the thing is, there are only a few ways
To deal with something like that

To deal with being disrespected

And none of them are good

I mean, I like Steve and all
But there are consequences to things in life

I do business next to the store
He docks my pay

He disrespects me, well...

Man's gotta wife
And three kids

Somebody's gotta teach him
To watch his mouth, you know?

In a way, it's like I'm doing him a favor

Because once we go all-night, twenty-four hours

He's going to be dealing with people
A lot tougher
Than me

No comments:

Post a Comment