Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It's Like Magic

Had to go grab milk
Even though it was 2:15
And I have to work at 8
Because I just...

Haha...I was sitting in my kitchen
And he's sitting with me
Holding my hand
And I'm saying--Why are you holding my hand?

And he just tilts his head to the side
And does that stupid shrug he does
When he thinks he's going to surprise me

I always tell him
You're not going to surprise me
I've never been surprised in my life

He has a tattoo that runs up his wrist
That I hate, because it's the name of some girl
He claims not to remember
Like that makes it any better

I say--Look, if you're going to do draw, cowboy, drag
Because I gotta go to bed soon

You know what he did?

He drew

Surprised me, too

Nice big diamond ring

Bigger than I was taught to expect
You know, when we were given the stories growing up
About how Prince Charming was going to propose to us

Nobody ever said the diamond would be big
They just promised blonde hair
And a white horse
And a sunset
And all that

Instead I got an ex-con with a tattoo
And a great big ring

I'll admit, I'm not sure if I'd trade
It's an awfully nice ring

The truth is
I have two kids
Both younger than ten
And yes, this guy might be an ex-con
But my ex-husband
Is a current con
So six of one
Half dozen of the other
You know what I mean?

And I like this guy
Although, if you tell him that
I'll punch you
Right in the teeth

I went to go grab milk because
After I accepted his proposal
I couldn't go to sleep

He went to bed on my couch

It was one thing having sex
When I thought we weren't ever getting married
But I'll be damned if I'm going to have sex
With a big old ring on my finger

And yes, I plan on keeping it on my finger
Even when I sleep, shower, and...

Well, you get the picture

I went to get milk because I couldn't sleep
And because suddenly I was living in a different world
And I wanted to see it

Everything was sort of ordinary

I mean, my kids were extraordinary
And my bills were extraordinary
And my Mom is still crazier than God should have made a human being
But life, the future, possibilities?

I thought those were always going to kind of...

Be what they were

And then I got a ring
From a nice guy
With a bad past
And an ugly tattoo
And suddenly...

It's like magic

Welcome to your brand new world, you know?

I guess that's love
For an everyday person

A nice ring
And a decent guy
And a walk to the all-night gas station
To get milk

Nothing crazy

Just a stroke of good luck

I'll admit
I'm still surprised

Good luck is the last thing
I was expecting

No comments:

Post a Comment