Sunday, September 9, 2012

Drinking in the Desert

...And he's trying to tell me the money's in cold climates

I said, 'Bert, nobody's interested in staying cool anymore'

I mean, maybe with global warming
He thought, Well, let me find a block of ice somewhere
And build on that
But I'm telling you
People adapt
They evolve
The world gets hotter?
You need to get hotter right along with it

Did you hear I had to leave Izzy in Egypt?
Bad situation, Bert
Just...just bad, you know?

I loved that girl like crazy
But she's got a hammer and two nails
And she's trying to put together something
That just isn't there

And I'm saying--
Izzy, the Sahara's done

It's done
It's last week
We're trying to build an empire here
We're trying to make a life for ourselves
And you're pushing plywood down into sand
Saying one day it's going to be something
And it's not, you know?
It's just not

Maybe in 2050 you could make something
In a place like that
But this is 2100
You gotta start where something's already been started
So I come here
Because the Amazon Desert
Is on everybody's radar

I want to get in on the action, you know?
And why start at step one
When you can start at step five?

I'm a Roman, Bert, you know that
I don't create
I improve upon

Leaving Izzy back in Egypt was like--

Like, I was abandoning her, you know?

I mean, I had to have a helicopter come get me
Because the whole place is one day away
From being nothing but an empty parking lot

So I'm flying away
And she's just standing there
Watching me
And at the last minute
I held out my hand to her
And I said, 'Iz, c'mon, this is nuts.
Come with me'

And she said, 'No, Joe.'
That's it
Just 'No'

She's probably still out there
Trying to dig
Trying to strike gold
Trying to...

...Who the hell knows, right?

And here I am
At the best restaurant in South America
Drinking wine at midnight
Because the town's just getting started
And I can't even enjoy myself
Because I'm still thinking about her

You know what you have to do
To get back to Egypt
These days?

The country's in lockdown
The Sahara weather's getting worse
Sandstorms four times a day
And she's there
And I...

I'd go back, you know
If I thought she'd leave with me
But she wouldn't
She'd just ask me to stay
And it's...

Gotta save somebody, right?

That's the world we live in, Bert

All the martyrs died out
Years ago

Now all that's left are the survivors

The people who know when to stay
And when to run

Cheers to that, right?

Drink up, man

Who knows how much longer
We're going to have wine
In our cups

No comments:

Post a Comment