Sunday, September 23, 2012

Two Days from a Raise

I'm two days from a raise
And so, of course
I'm presented with this
Ethical quandary

I'm actually surprised
It's taken this long

We're all sitting at this table
With this client
This client who isn't even that prominent
In terms of how much we're making off her

And she starts cracking jokes
Bad jokes, awful
I mean, not just because they're not funny
But because they're racist
Something about a racist woman
It just doesn't seem natural
That's my opinion anyway

I mean, when you're in business
You sort of expect a man to start acting like an asshole
At any moment
But not a woman

So she makes a few jokes
And I can see the woman at the table cringe
And I'm thinking--
Maybe she's dating a black guy or something
And I feel terrible
But I think
I am two days from a raise
And I am not screwing that up
Because some dumb woman
Makes a few stupid jokes
At a lunch
One lunch
I mean, you have to let some stuff go, you know?
You can't make a political...something out of a thing like that
And lose a raise that you sorely need
Over something that...small

But then she makes a gay joke
And, uh, huh, you know, it's like--
I said nothing when she joked about the blacks
But then she came for me

Does my boss know I'm gay?
Well, I've never brought it up
And I have a fairly deep voice
And I keep a photo on my desk
Of a woman I've never met
I mean, she came with the frame
And so, no, he probably doesn't know
So he didn't think anything of her joke
And why should I expect that he would
When the black jokes went by
With nothing but a sort of chortle
And a wave of the hand

And I'm like, Wow, nobody's going to say anything
Because it doesn't seem like anybody here is gay?

How would you know if anybody was gay
Or if somebody had a gay brother
Or son or something

That woman
That woman at the table
Who cringed
When that moron made her black joke
She could be gay

Who knows?

I should have said something
But I'm two days from a raise
Other people there weren't
So what's their excuse, huh?

You should ask them
You should ask them that

Ask them why they stayed quiet

I'd like to know why they did

I really would
Like to know

No comments:

Post a Comment