Monday, September 24, 2012

Awash in Drunkenland

Here we are again
In Drunkenland
Down the rabbit hole
Before you knew it
You were fat
Then small
Then skinny
Then nothing at all
Roasting on a spit
Splitting through a door

But all this shall be forgivable
This will wash away
Addictions are redeemed
Fucking up is not
Be able to blame what you do on something
Or risk someone labeling you
And moving on
To something else

If only I drank
I'd have permission
To be a bad person

I could fuck the walrus
And the carpenter
And say the pills made me do it
The bottle made me do it
The ghosts from the past
Solidified briefly
And shoved unsobering items
Down my throat

Mirrors make you look stable here
Telescopes make you look important
Microscopes we avoid
Because nobody should ever, ever
Look that closely

Soaked, soaking, no adults here
No chance of growing
Age is a number, minus ten, minus twelve
Act the subtraction
Reveal the root
Say it equals progress
Moving towards an equal sign
Where a comeback is waiting
And everybody loves
A good
Comeback

For the rest of us
There's applause on the sidelines
Directed at those
Who've stumbled their way to Greatness

Good for them, I say
Off with their heads
Let that be the only consequence

It's back up the rabbit hole for me

Stay here any longer
And I won't be able to tell the difference
Between them
And me

No comments:

Post a Comment