Sunday, December 4, 2011

But I Wouldn't Say I'm Jealous

You see, we're friends
And friends aren't jealous of friends
Friends are happy for friends
I'm happy for you
I mean, I want to be happy for you
Do you see?

So when you say
What is it I'm feeling
When I say I have reservations
About this relationship
All I'm saying is that
I want to be happy for you, honey

That's all

But I wouldn't say I'm jealous

I mean, if you want to base an entire relationship
Around passion and lust
Then you go right ahead
Nobody's going to stop you
I love that you don't care
What anybody thinks
About anything that you do
Or say, or who you date
Or, well, I guess date is the wrong word
For what you have going on here, am I right?

What I'm saying is
I love that you don't care
That everybody you love and admire
Thinks you're screwing up your life

I wish I could be so carefree as that
It's a trait of yours I really enjoy

And I love that you don't need somebody
To be smart or sensible
Or have a future ahead of them
In order for you to trot them out in public
Like they're a prize-winning pony
Just because they're the only person you've met
In the past year
That'll return your calls

Even though the only other guys haven't
Is because, as your friends tell you
You're really not ready
To be in a committed relationship right now

But hey, screw us, right?

You're happy!

And who cares who you're happy with?

I mean, who really cares?

So what if he's trashy
And tasteless
And looks like his mama might have banged his head
Up against the bassinet a few too many times?

I say, Live it up honey!

Live
It
Up

So you see, I'm not jealous
Not at all

In fact, in terms of your present situation
I'd say jealous is the last thing
I am

No comments:

Post a Comment