Saturday, December 24, 2011

She Doesn't Care

She doesn't care if the bed gets made or not

She doesn't notice if you're around or not

She doesn't give a damn where you are at night

And when you don't come home
She falls asleep just fine

She doesn't care if the dishes fill the sink

And she doesn't know what to say
Or do
Or think

So she vacuums and hums

While you're out doing God-knows-what
She's on the couch
Doing her nails

I worry more about you
Then she does now

And I've been gone so long
I don't even count

But sometimes I stop

Think about how you could be half-dead
And she'd be in bed
With a paperback novel

Flipping a page
While you flip your car

Two days later, she'd be saying
You were too far gone to help

And maybe she'd be right

But it bothers me
That she doesn't care

She doesn't care if the credit cards get charged
She doesn't care if the oil gets changed
She doesn't care if the cat gets fed
Or sink gets fixed
Or if you come along on holidays
To her family's place

She likes having you around
But she doesn't need you
In her life

You can just float around her life
Like a dying star

She doesn't care if the milk in the fridge goes bad
Or if you settle up your debts
Or if fun is had

She just watches you spin
And when it gets to be too much
She puts a drink in your hand
Like putting a toy
In a toddler's palm

Just because it'll shut you up

Silly me

I tried to keep you talking

About how to make it better
About what might help
About us

I should have just turned on the vacuum
And poured myself a drink

I should have just stopped caring
About you

Who would have thought
That would be the easiest thing
To do

No comments:

Post a Comment