Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Snakes Discuss Ophidiophobia

STACEY:  Did you see how she freaked out?
ZOE:  Was the screaming necessary?
STACEY:  She just dove into the driver's side window of her car.
ZOE:  Like, oh darn, if you'd taken the time to actually open the door then we would have had you!
STACEY:  I'm sorry, but that was obnoxious.
ZOE:  She sped away from us as if we had wheels or something.
STACEY:  I'm sorry.
ZOE:  As if we were going to pull out a rocket launcher and blow up her Prius.
STACEY:  Are people really that afraid of us?
ZOE:  I guess so.
STACEY:  You know, you forget sometimes.
ZOE:  You really do.
STACEY:  That people can be that skittish.
ZOE:  Well, I mean, they're not totally out of line.
STACEY:  Zoe, that woman threw up on herself just from looking at us!  I think that's a little extreme.  We weren't anywhere near her.
ZOE:  Everyone has their phobias.
STACEY:  We're the size of shoelaces.  What's to be afraid of?
ZOE:  She thinks we'll bite.
STACEY:  Bite what?  Her ugly shoes?  That's about as high as I can go.  I don't know about you.
ZOE:  Stacey--
STACEY:  Are you capable of jumping up to her face and biting her nose off?
ZOE:  Not all fears are rational.
STACEY:  Well, if your fear isn't rational, you should overcome it.  Frankly, I'm offended by her behavior.
ZOE:  Stacey--
STACEY:  That would be like me being afraid of pot pies.
ZOE:  Stacey--
STACEY:  --or three-ring binders.
ZOE:  Stacey, some snakes are scary.
STACEY:  Okay, Zoe--
ZOE:  Some snakes actually do bite people.
STACEY:  And some humans eat snakes.
ZOE:  Only the crazy ones.
STACEY:  Zoe, they do it in Texas.
ZOE:  Like I said, only the crazy ones.
STACEY:  I've never bitten anyone.
ZOE:  Veronica has.
STACEY:  Veronica?
ZOE:  Yeah.
STACEY:  She's a boa constrictor!
ZOE:  She's a snake.
STACEY:  It's not the same thing!
ZOE:  Um, it's totally the same thing.  She's just a bigger version of us.
STACEY:  She's eaten zebras whole!  She's nothing like us!  That's like saying billionaires are the same as those armless beggars that roll around Bombay on skateboards just because they're both human.  We're nothing alike!
ZOE:  I'm trying to see it from her perspective.
STACEY:  Don't bother.  They're all narrow-minded.
ZOE:  They?
STACEY:  Humans.
ZOE:  Oh, let's not make this into a general discussion about humans.
STACEY:  Why not?  It's typical.  They're the most powerful creatures on the planet and yet they always find ways of convincing themselves they're scared of their smallest contemporaries.  Spiders, rats,  us--
ZOE:  Well spiders are terrifying.
STACEY:  Yeah, they really are.
ZOE:  That was--
STACEY:  Yeah, that was a bad example.
ZOE:  Because they really are awful creatures.
STACEY:  It's true.  And no personality.  Try talking to one, it's nearly impossible.
ZOE:  I think we have to accept that people are going to have prejudices, and all we can do is counter them with our behavior.
STACEY:  Like how we didn't just bite that woman?
ZOE:  Exactly.

(A beat.)

STACEY:  Is it wrong that I kind of wanted to?
ZOE:  Stacey!
STACEY:  I did!  I don't know why, but...I did.
ZOE:  Stacey, I--  (Pause.)  ...I did too.
STACEY:  You did?
ZOE:  I always do!
STACEY:  So, I'm not alone in this?
ZOE:  No!  I thought I was!
STACEY:  Are we awful?
ZOE:  No, we're just...snakes.
STACEY:  We're--
ZOE:  Predators.
STACEY:  And do we want to be?
ZOE:  The question is:  Does it matter?
STACEY:  I guess we all have our demons.
ZOE:  Yes.  (Pause.)  But at least--
STACEY:  Still better than spiders.
ZOE:  Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment