Sunday, December 25, 2011

Friends and Allies

The thing is, Z, that--
You and I
Are friends

Best friends, right?
The best?

And the thing is
It's always been one of those
Sort of
Stereotypical
Gay man/Straight woman relationship

Which is fine
Doesn't mean it's wrong
Unhealthy, maybe
But friendship, at its core
Isn't just a little bit unhealthy?

And we work in the same field
And that's been fun
We have our work
In common
To talk about

We share things

And up until now
I've felt okay about that
I've felt comfortable
With that

But today I realized
That it's a mistake

That it's all been a mistake

I know you're the one who outed Pearson
And even though he and I are not friends
He happens to be
The only thing I respect more than a friend

He's my job

He's my money, my livelihood

Today, Z, you fucked with my money
And I can't chance you doing that again

You've been making a mistake all these years too, you know
You just didn't know it

You thought we were the same
You and I

That we were on the same team

We are not, Z
We are not on the same team

Pearson is on my team
Some of my worst enemies
Are on my team
It's partly a means of keeping them close
But at the end of the day
It's just that they share a common experience with me
That you and I could never share

If you want the truth
All women think they're allied with gay men
But you're not
None of you
Are our allies

Friends, yes
Sometimes
But not allies

But you are no longer my friend, Z
And you never were my ally
And that means that right now
You're in a very vulnerable position

It was all fun and cute
When we were on opposing sides
And everybody was playing fair

But now we have something
Quite different on our hands
Don't we?

Now that you showed your hand

It was a good hand, too, Z
It was a really good hand
But you see
The one person you never want
On the other side of a table from you
Is someone who used to know you
Better than anybody else

And that's me

Your candidate may be clean
As far as I can tell
But we both know you're not

Your candidate's still pro-life, isn't he?

I haven't checked the web in the past hour
But I'm assuming his platform hasn't changed that much

I have to protect the guy on my team, Z
Your mistake was not picking a friend
Who would protect you
Because you'd be on theirs

Nothing is stronger than someone's ultimate
Core loyalty

For some it's family
Or God
Or sex

Mine is money
Money and that shared experienced
That you could never understand

But let me do this for you

Let me get the check

I have a feeling money's going to be tight for you
From here on in

No comments:

Post a Comment