Saturday, December 17, 2011

You Might Be An American

You might be an American
You might be born--free or free to be
Or a distant cousin
From someone like me
Stupidity might seem like nobility
Or humility to you
And if you do find yourself
Judging your intelligence
By how many books you can fit on your shelf
Then you might need to hear this
To help identify yourself

You might be an American

You might be a Trouble Maker
Baby Maker
Risk Taker
Orgasm Faker
Cupcake Maker
Wake 'N Baker
Cupcake Baker
High Staker
Late Waker
Or maybe a Great Laker

You might question
Or you might quell the questioners
And not wish well
Anybody who would raise hell
On the steps
Of a City Hall
Or stall a vote
By filibustering
Mustering up
The courage it takes
To not shut up

You might wave a flag
Or call someone a fag
From a passing car
And from afar both these activities
May seem like patriotic duties

You might get on drugs
And get off beer
And hop on fads
And drop acid on bad advice
Play nice with old guitars
Or compare scars
With fading stars

You might get in line
To see the Hollywood sign
And end up dining
On recycled swine

You might be gorgeous
And you might mine
And that would be fine

See, you might be an American

And I have a thing for America
Americans
Americana

Mama, I just rode my first bike
Mama, I just stole for the very first time
Mama, I just learned to tell the time
Mama, when's Dad getting back?  It's getting late
Mama, what time did you say I had to be home from my date?
Mama, we're going dancing so don't stay up and wait
Mama, it says that they're calling it AIDS
Mama, the music's loud for a reason
Mama, those aren't leaves--leaves aren't in season
Mama, they said what I did was treason

I stood on a sttreetcorner
Shouting out about
How I need to hear an echo
To let go
Of my retro
Image of America

It's big enough to see
If you stand high enough
And cry out loud enough
And feel proud long enough

Why can't I see it?
Aren't I American?

Don't my roots go deep
Don't I lack the capacity to sleep
The veracity of my tenacity
Should allow me the faculty
To feel like
Here
Is where
I can bear
To reside

Why is my pride between by
People
Who call their prejudices
Political stances

Who say they hate for religious reasons
But haven't read their Bibles
Since childhood seasons

Who tell me that truth
Is a questionable word

And say it's absurd when I say wars should end
I never realized
War had so many friends

They look at my doubt
And call me out
On what I'm about

Aren't you an American?
They say

And I say--I'm black

And white
And gay
And loud
And straight
And blind
And mean
And right
And bright
And wrong
And strong
And fun
And I carry my doubt with me
Like a loaded gun

So when you take a step back
In your nice shoes
With your blue eyes
That are closed more often
Than you realize

And you say 'You might be an American'
When you look at me

I answer--

'I'm more of an American
Than you'll ever be'

No comments:

Post a Comment