Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pretend You're Not Where You Are

Do you ever do this--

Pretend you're not where you are?

Do you ever close your eyes
And say, okay it's not now
It's, um, I don't know
Ten years ago
And then you think about it
You think about where you were ten years ago
Who you were
Where you lived
Who you were dating

Then you open your eyes
And you say to yourself--

Okay, how do you feel?

If you do it right
If you really do it right
Like, take yourself back there
To wherever, whatever time
While your eyes are closed
Opening your eyes
Will either feel like stepping into a dream
Or a total nightmare

You'll either say to yourself--

Thank God I'm not there anymore

or

What the hell happened?

It's usually never a mediocre feeling
That comes over you

Last night, after you fell asleep
I rolled over and stared at you
For, well, let's be honest
An alarming length of time

But I kept playing that game
I kept closing my eyes
And picturing myself
At different points in my life

Then I would open my eyes
And look at you

You, and the bedroom
And the apartment

I even got up at one point
And looked out the window
At the neighborhood

And you know...

I've never in nicer places
Better areas
Bigger apartments

I've had nicer things
I've slept in more, shall we say
Elaborate beds

At various points in my life
I have had it
Very, very
Good

But I gotta tell you

When I opened my eyes
And saw you there
No matter what time I was thinking of

I still thought the same thing:

Finally

Finally, I'm here

No comments:

Post a Comment