Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Don't Want To Be Here in July

We can stay here through December
When it gets cold I can wear a jacket around the house
And put extra blankets on the bed
My mother says she's sending us a quilt for Christmas
So there'll be that at least
At least we won't freeze
But there's nothing we can do about the heat, is there?
Once July rolls around
It's going to be as sticky and dry and awful
As it was last July

So I don't want to be here in July
It's fun living in the city when there's snow on the ground
And you don't feel like going anywhere
And you can walk to wherever it is you need to be
When they hang the wreaths up on all the lampposts
And the ice skating rink downtown is open
And it gets dark so early and so cold
That there's no point being outside anyway
But when the summer comes, I'd rather be...

I don't want Sam to have to spend another summer 
With no beach 
No pool
No camping
Hating the sun because all it does is make you sweat
Waking up every morning smelling rotten garbage
And black tar
I can't give him another summer like that

My mom found an apartment in Chester
It's...It's not as big as the one we have
But it's near a lake
And there's lots of kids in the area
Good kids, not like the ones around here
Who spend all summer smashing car windows
Just for fun

It's a one-bedroom, but the rent's higher because of the area
Mom says she'd help out with that
I guess I could get one of those pull-outs and sleep in the living room
It's not like I'm used to much privacy anyway
It's not like I need it either
At the end of the summer, she said if we liked it we could...

She says they have good schools there 
The school, the school in the area
Has like, a band or something, a really good band
And Sam's been saying he wants to learn the trumpet
Mom said she'd buy him a trumpet too

She's really into the whole idea
Of us moving and everything
But I told her I'm not moving anywhere with two feet of snow on the ground
So she said, Okay, well then wait, and come this summer

And...
I said I'd talk to you about it, but...
I said I'd go...either way

It's not what it sounds like, babe
It's just that you gotta choose sometimes
What you can bear

A country winter
Or a city summer

I'd miss the lampposts with the wreaths on them
And the walk home past McKinley's store with the mannequins in the window
And watching Sam doing circles at the skating rink

But I can bear missing all that
If it means I don't have to wake up
With my clothes stuck to my skin

Too tired to cook
Because the heat's wiped me out

Too tired to do anything

Irritated all the time
Fanning myself

Air so stale
You feel like you're breathing dust

I don't want to be here in July
I can't be

And if you want to be
We'll work something out

But once the snow's gone
So am I

I said I'd talk to you about it
So I'm talking
This is me talking

So if you want to come, come
If not, then...

Well, then I guess there's some other stuff we should talk about

No comments:

Post a Comment