Tuesday, December 13, 2011

To My Three Best Friends

To My Three Best Friends,

Thanks for being my 3am
My late night phone call
Where you only casually mention
That yes, you were sleeping
But first, am I okay?
Okay, you must not be okay
Because it's 3am
And I can sense oncoming tears
Let me go make coffee

Thanks for the gossip
Especially when I gave up gossip
In 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, and--
Thank you for telling me:
Gossip is fine
Smart people talk about ideas
And best friends talk about people
That neither of them like
So stop feeling bad about it

Thanks for the awful vacations
The truly awful vacations
The rainy day in New York
The traffic jam in Boston
The sold-out concert we didn't have tickets to
The road trip where the car overheated
And in a town called 'Killingville'
God, Connecticut has weird names for towns

Thanks for not being the kind of friends 
Who 'like' things like on Facebook
Instead I've gotten--
'I'm in a Relationship' --You rushed into this
'I'm sad' --Snap out of it, we're going out
'I just met a great guy!' --Nobody cares, we're going out
'My friends drive me nuts.' --Ditto, and we're going out

Thanks for picking me up when the car broke down
And picking me up when I broke down
And metaphorically dusting me off
And adjusting my moods
And giving everyone's who has messed with me
The 'I can make sure they never find your body' look

Thanks for sitting with me
Just sitting with me
And letting me figure out
What I wanted to say

What I wanted to say was this
To my three best friends
Thank you

As long as I have the three of you
I'm not sure what else
I'll ever need

No comments:

Post a Comment