Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I'm Just Going to Rest My Head

I did it, it's done
Complete
Finished
And I...
Have nothing...
Left


I'm not kidding
My brain feels dry
Like, sucked dry
Like those syrupy candy drinks
In the plastic that you'd suck on and--


Oh my God, I can't even form words anymore
I can't even string thoughts together

I found this picture
This photo
This great--

I've been looking at it
For two hours
Trying to come up with a story for it

I found it online

'A Foggy Morning in Lisbon'

Isn't that great?

There's a story there

The problem is that at 4am
And a broken coffeemaker
I'm a really lousy storyteller

It's okay though
I've told my stories for tonight

I'm not ready to sleep
I'm too tired to sleep
Do you know that feeling?

I'm up, and I feel like I'm staying up
But I'm not sure what else I can do

The apartment's too quiet
And I've run out of stuff on the DVR
And the dishes need to be done
But I'm too tired to even contemplate dishes

I've reached the 'far too honest' portion of the evening
Morning
Whatever

But I did do something today

I finished the play
Isn't that a great phrase?

Oh, an even better one--

Similar, but different

A Finished Play

Of course, it's not finished
It needs to be revised
And reworked
Retooled
Re-something
But it's all down
The basic bones of it
Are down, down, down

And I'm exhausted
And I'm giddy
And I'm...

I'm only capable of leaving you a voicemail at this point
Saying sorry

Sorry I chose this work over you

I love the work, but...

It is, in fact
Lonely work

I look around
I finish
I want to celebrate with someone
And you're...

Well, I'm going to bed

Before your phone cuts me off

I'm just going to rest my head

I'll probably wake up tomorrow afternoon
Look at what I've done tonight
And decide it was all wrong

But at least I can fall asleep
Thinking I got something right tonight

At least for tonight
I can say I made a good choice

Maybe not the right choice
Maybe never the right choice
But a good choice

The only choice I could ever...

Goodnight

If you're...

Never mind

Just goodnight

As for me--

I'm just going
To rest
My head

No comments:

Post a Comment