Saturday, December 24, 2011

That Laugh

That laugh, that--
Well, more like a squeal

The one she does
When you lift her up
And spin her around?

I hope she keeps that laugh forever

I hope that ducks and dump trucks
Never cease to fascinate her

And that pointed party hats
Always rest perfectly
On the top of her head

I want her to always get excited
About chocolate cake
And fireworks
And puppies

I want splashing to constantly take her by surprise
I want her to cry whenever I drop her off anywhere
So I have an excuse to drive around the block once
And then come back to spy on her wherever she is until it's time to pick her up

Her band-aids should always have kittens on them
Her cereal should always have a cartoon on the front of it
Her hair should always be in pigtails
And her bed should always have a canopy over it

When she wants something from me
I always want her to tug on my shirt
So I have to bend down
To let her whisper it in my ear

I want everything she says to me
To be a secret
From the world

I want her to be the flower girl at every wedding
The soloist at every recital
And first person to wake up
On a day when something exciting is going to happen

I never want to see her
See a pile of leaves
And not leap into it

I never want her to see me
And act as if she just saw me
A few hours ago
Even if she did

I want a sweeping hug
Every time
As if I've just returned from war

I want to see every project
Drawing, doodle, scribble
And diorama

And I want to put them all
Up on my fridge

But most of all
I want that laugh

I want that laugh
That squeal
That eruption of joy

To stick around
Forever

No comments:

Post a Comment