Monday, January 27, 2014

Afghanistan

I promised Julio that my mom had a pool
And I told him it was a nice pool
And he busted my balls
And said 'What's the point of having a nice pool?'
You live in New England
What do you get?
Like two and a half months of summer?

He was from Miami
We got pools in Miami, he said
Real pools
Even the poor people got pools

Come visit me when we get home, I said
I'll show you my mom's pool

I'd been back for two weeks
When there was a knock on the door
This was--Jesus, three o'clock in the morning?
No kidding

Not that I slept
I didn't sleep
Still don't
I was up every night

But who shows up at somebody's house at three o'clock in the morning?

And it's not like my mom lives in a nice neighborhood

I mean, she's got a pool
But the house is dump
And the neighborhood sucks
She just had the pool
Because my brother went crazy one summer
And dug this pool in the backyard
Cemented it and everything
Then shot himself
When it was done
No fucking lie

I was six, I don't even really remember it

I never even talked about it
Not even with my mom
Not until I got to Afghanistan
And you talked about anything you could think of
Because all you did was talk

Anyway, uh, fuck, sorry
My brother
Like you care about my fucking brother

There was a knock on the door--
See, you can tell I'm not a story-teller
I got your all mixed up there with--

Uh--there was a knock, okay?
And I--
Yeah, I freak out a little

I grab a knife from the kitchen
A big knife
My mom doesn't wake up
She could sleep through elephants banging

I get the knife
I open the door
And there's Julio

Already got his bathing suit on
No fucking joke
And this big grin on his face
And he says--

'We going swimmin'?'

Fuckin' Julio man

So I take him swimmin'

I mean, what am I going to do?
Not take him swimming?

The crazy asshole drove all the way from Miami
DROVE

He got back home
Got into a fight with his stepdad
Gave the cocksucker a black eye
And then hopped in his old car
And started to drive

He had the address I gave him
And he just...drove

Told me he only stopped to piss
And eat pancakes
And I believed him
Even though Julio had a reputation
With the guys for being, you know
Full of shit

I liked him
I mean, I took a liking to him
He was younger than me
A kid, you know?
Nineteen

Only got to go home, because...

Look, not to be rude
But you don't need to know why he went home
Or why I went home
I mean, we're not here for that
Let's just say I'm twenty-four
And he's eighteen
And United States doesn't make it a habit
Of sending home nineteen and twenty-four year-olds
Unless they have a really good reason, so...

We were swimming in my pool
Well...he was swimming
I was just sitting on the edge
With my feet in, you know?
And he was swimming around
Having a ball

I told you my mother had a nice pool

Weird shape, though, you know
Because what did my cokehead brother know
About digging a pool?

Got this blob-shaped water-hole
In the backyard
And Julio's swimming around
From one side to the other

Then he comes up to me
Swims, right up to me
And like--
Goes between my legs

I'm like--Julio, what the fuck are you doing?

And then he laughs
And he's shivering
Because it's cold
It's almost morning
And it's cold out
The pool's cold
The water's cold
I mean, it feels okay
But it's cold
And he laughs
And his lips are blue
And I'm about to say--
You should get out
When he kisses my leg
The side of my leg
Like, my thigh
Sorry--my thigh
He kisses it

And I'm like--What the--
But then he kisses up a little further
And then I shove him
And when I shove him
I sort of force myself in the pool
And the next thing I know
I'm shoving him
And he's saying 'Wait, wait, man'
But I'm shoving him
And I'm holding him
Like shoving him and holding his head down
Under the water
And I don't mean to, but...

...And one time he comes up
And he's gasping
And I snap into it
Like, what I'm doing
And then...

I kiss him

I grab him
And I kiss him
And I hold his face
Like, hard in my hands

I mean I'm strong
And he's smaller than me
And it was easy
Pushing him around
And holding him underwater
And then kissing him
Making him kiss me
He was kissing me back, I mean
But, like, he'd try to pull away for air
He was still gasping from being held underwater
And I wouldn't let him go

I just...

I just wouldn't let him go

Finally, we broke
And he looked at me
And I kinda...

What the fuck, Julio?  What the fuck is your problem?

I don't think he even knew
What specific thing I was asking about, you know?
I didn't even know

He didn't say anything
He just got out of the pool
And then I got out of the pool
And I said--

'I think you should go'

And he said--'Yeah'

And he left

I don't know where he was going
Where he went to
I don't know if he had anywhere to go
But...

I couldn't have him there

My mom was going to wake up soon
And I...

I couldn't have Julio there, you know?

There's some shit I'm not telling you
I mean, of course right?
That's not a surprise, right?
But...

But what you think the story is?
It's not

Not even close

Sometimes when you think there's a story there
With a message
And a moral
And with good guys and bad guys
There's not

There's just two fucked up people
Trying to get themselves right
Or run away trying

That's what this was
That's all it was

Whatever you think?

You're wrong

About me
About Julio
About what happened before we came home
Or while we were there
Or how what happened in that pool
Ended up happening, it...

It's not what you think

I promise you

I can promise you that

No comments:

Post a Comment