Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Don't Tell Them I Went to Church

Do me a favor
Don't tell them I went to church

I just don't want them getting their hopes up
I know Mom'll be all thrilled
That I've, you know, come back to the church
And that's not it
That's not what's going on

I just..

...Wanted some peace and quiet, you know?

I mean, where do you go
When you just want...quiet?

You know, I don't necessarily miss being religious
But I do miss being forced to sit somewhere for an hour a week
And just be... reverent

I could do yoga or something
But the last time I tried
I ended up hooking up with my instructor

It's too much like the gym
Heat and endorphins
And spandex
I just...

I went to church

I walked in
I sat
There was no mass
No services
Only one or two people sitting there
Sitting quietly
Praying, I guess
I don't know
I didn't ask

But it was nice, you know?

It was like lunch with an old friend
You had a falling out with

You sit there and you think--
Wow, there are things I don't miss
But there's also stuff I really miss a lot

And it made me realize
That when I cut religion out of my life
I forgot to replace it with something else

And so there's just been this part of me
That needed addressing
That I've been...ignoring

So today, things got noisy
And I went somewhere where there wasn't any noise
And it's really as simple as that

And nice
I said 'Nice,' right?
It was...nice

I enjoyed it

Just don't go telling anybody

I don't want people thinking
We're getting back together

No comments:

Post a Comment