Monday, January 13, 2014

The Low Pressure of a Monday Night

It's just nice, you know
The drive home
Especially when it's just rained
Or it's about to rain
Or snow

The anticipation of weather
Just makes everything better

I like to find something to do
Late at night
--Well, not late, but late-ish
On a Monday
Or a Tuesday
Or just any day that isn't a weekend day
Something menial and stupid
Like, picking up paper towels at a Walgreen's
Or getting one donut from all the 24-hour donut place
Maybe, if I'm really up for an adventure, I'll go food shopping
At the Super Foodmart forty minutes from my house

And the great thing about any or all of that is
That--if you do it on, like, a Monday
Then you've done something
With your Monday

Anything on a Monday
Is impressive

I mean, like, you shouldn't go crazy on a Monday
But, it's so low pressure, you know?

It's the low pressure of a Monday night
It's wonderful

On Fridays and Saturdays
There are all these high expectations
That you should be out
You should be doing things
And yet
No matter what you do
You feel like
You're not doing the right thing
You're not with the right people
You're not having enough fun
You're not in the moment enough
You should be living in another city
You should be more at peace with the fact that you're not living in another city

Finally you just say 'To hell with it'
And you go home
Because it's exhausting
Thinking about all the ways you're failing
At having a proper weekend, you know?

But on a Monday?

It's so easy
Everything's so easy
That song should be called--
Easy Like Monday Night
Because nobody expects you to do anything
On a Monday night

So when you do anything
You have exceeded expectations
Granted, very low expectations
A very low bar
But, I mean, aren't low bars
The only way
Anybody exceeds anymore anyway?

All I know is
It's a Monday
And I made my own pizza tonight
And went to the mall to buy jeans
And I stopped by my Mom's house to tell her to stop running my life
And so I really feel like
I did a lot today

I mean, I really feel productive right now
And it's fantastic

It sucks that four days from now
Friday's going to take all that away from me

Oh well

I guess everyday
Can't be Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment