Friday, January 10, 2014

You Can't Go Back Far Enough

I always make the same deal with everyone
Tell me the moment you want to go back to
And I'll let you

And if you can fix things from there
Then you win, things are fixed
And life is good

You pick the wrong moment
And I take you back to the present
Where you're still unhappy
And maybe even more unhappy
Because you guessed wrong
About when to go back

Time is like music
Sometime you think you can pinpoint certain movements
Rhythms, sounds
Until you really break it down
To its smallest pieces
And then you realize
There are hundreds of things happening
That you're not even capable
Of being aware of

So I say to you--
'Okay, you love this person?
Great.
Tell me the moment
When you could have made them fall in love with you too
Because yes, there is a moment
Don't let anybody tell you differently
There IS a moment
Where any two people
Can fall in love with each other
Provided they both seize the opportunity
At the exact same time

So just tell me when that moment is
And I'll send you back there
And you can make it happen
You can both fall in love
And live happily ever after'

And every time
--And I'm not happy about this, believe me
Because I'm rooting for them
I really am, but--
Every time
They pick the wrong moment

And when they pick the wrong moment
And they always do
They come back and they say--
'I know what I did
Please, I know what I did
Give me one more chance!'

And I say, 'No, I'm sorry.
One chance
Is all you get'

'But,' they say, 'I know what to do
I need to go back even further
That's what I did wrong'

And I don't have the heart to tell them
But the truth is
You can't go back far enough

Because ultimately
The place where you need to be
Is the present

That's the moment
When it's most possible
For two people
To fall in love

Now
Right now

There's never a better opportunity
Than right now

But even if I told them that
They wouldn't believe it
Because they wouldn't want to believe it

So I send them on their way
Thinking they picked the wrong moment
Because they did
But I don't tell them
That every other moment after now
Could be the right moment

You don't need magic
You don't need time travel
You don't even need insight or perspective

You just need to seize it
This moment
Now

That's it

That's all you have to do

No comments:

Post a Comment