Sunday, January 12, 2014

An Evening Invitation

You ever light up a cigarette
And sit down in a puddle of something
And feel yourself get wet
And just think to yourself
Shit, man, there's a party somewhere

There's a party somewhere
And I'm--not at it

You know, life and the Lord
Give you all kinds
Of Saturday nights

Sometimes you get to go out dancin'
And sometimes you sit in a rundown house
That
You
Own

And it's raining
And water's comin' in

And there's puddles on the floor
And rotting food in the fridge
Because there's no more electricity
No money
No way to pay bills

Oh, don't get me wrong
I have a wallet
And there's stuff in it
Enough to get me drunk downtown
But see, that wasn't the Saturday night
I was handed

Now, there are people in this world
Who would look at what they got
Their deck of cards
And they put it somewhere else
In another pocket
And they'd look in the pocket
That has the wallet in it
That has the last of their cash
And they'd think--

Well, this pocket is the right pocket
This is my pocket
This is the night I'm going to have

But I take the other pocket
The one with nothin' in it
Because I know
That's the night I'm supposed to have

You know, when I told you to come by tonight
I knew what I was doing

I could have kept you thinkin'
I had myself together
I could have picked the other pocket
And had you meet me downtown
Charmed you
Told a few jokes
Had you invite me over to your place for the night
Made some excuse about my place
Doing this to it
Doing that

But this is it

This is the truth

Holes in the roof
No lights
Just me

I'm all I got
Me and all my shit

And rather than wait for you
To fall into the pit
That is all this
I figured I'd just extend
An evening invitation
And get it over with

So what do you think?

You hanging around?

Or d'you got another party
To go to?

No comments:

Post a Comment