Wednesday, January 8, 2014

This Could Be Your San Francisco

See that sun coming up?
Here, wait, give me that thermos
What'd you put in here anyway?
Smells like a squirrel
Drowned in a paint can

Never mind, never mind
I have you for two more hours
I'm not going to waste time
Getting drunk

I'll get drunk after you leave
When I'll have all the time in the world

Before I take you to the airport
I want you to look at this sun
Because, I swear to you
That though science tells us
The sun we are looking at
Is the same sun no matter where on earth you see it
I would like to put forth the argument to you, my friend
That science is hogwash
And that this sun belongs only
To San Francisco

And, my friend, my good friend
Some with a poetic soul may say
My best friend

This--could be your San Francisco

Now, I'm not going to mince words with you
And this isn't all that easy for me to say, but--

I'm lonely as fuck

I don't know how you've been doing in New York
But I've been hurting out here
Now, I could try dating
I've tried dating
Dating has been--

Okay, the thing is--
Dating just doesn't seem to be as much fun
When I can't come home afterwards
And call you to tell you all about it

I mean, I can call you now
In New York
But even over the phone
You just seem--
Far away

Now, I'd like to pose another argument to you
An argument that--if, let's say, we were...dating
And no, I'm not trying to get all weird here
I'm just saying--
If we were dating
You moving here for me
Would not be considered all that crazy

I mean, if instead of a friendship that's lasted ten years
We were a couple that had been together ten years
Moving across country to be together
Would seem totally logical
Especially when you're talking about moving
To a phenomenal place
Like San Francisco

We've both done New York
You're still doing New York
But now I'm here
And I gotta tell you--

I need you
I need you here

You know, you hear all that bullshit
About not needing love
Just three good friends
Well I don't even need three
I just need you

This city
My life
It's just...off

Without you, I'm off
I'm not on my game
I'm not...you know, happy

So, look, I'm not asking you to make any kind of decision
I just brought you out on this roof
So we could have some squirrel booze
And see the sun come up
And just kinda sit quietly like only two really good friends can do
And show you that this--
This is not a bad life
When it's the both of us

And this could be your San Francisco

Just think about it, all right?

And take another look at that sun

You know, I come out here every morning
And every morning, it's awesome
It's an awesome sun

But today?

Man, today--it is something else

No comments:

Post a Comment