Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cake

What I'm asking you to do
Is find out

The thing is, Mr. Orlando
Tom, I can call you Tom, you said?

The thing is, Tom
Whatever you find out
It doesn't matter
Not really
Because I don't want to know

If you find out my husband is seeing someone
Whoever it is
I just want you to tell me
That he's not

And if he's not, then of course
You can tell me that too

You'll be paid either way
I just...

I just want somebody to look into this for me
But I'm not sure I could handle finding out if he was...

Would you like some coffee?
I could make you some coffee

Or, uh, a cake?
Maybe you'd like a cake

I've done nothing but bake
Since I started feeling this...

Suspicion

When I got married
My mother told me
That something like this would happen

You're with someone long enough
And you begin to convince yourself
That they're bored with you

So you start to read into things
You see things that aren't there

I bake to take my mind off things
I'd clean, but you can only get things so clean
Until your only option is to make them dirty
So you can clean them again

My mother told me
That when you feel suspicious
You have to ignore it
The feeling
Because you're wrong

And I remember saying to her
'But what if I'm not?'

And she said, looking at me
With this voice she used
When she wanted me to understand something
And not question it

She said--'You'll always be wrong'

My mother made the best cakes, Tom
One time my father didn't come home for two days
And she made this six-layer masterpiece
That should have gone into a museum
It was so beautiful

My parents were married
Until my mother died
And then my father passed away
A year later

It worked--their marriage
It worked because it lasted
It didn't break
And that's how you know
It was a good marriage

Wouldn't you say that's true?

I'm sure there are things I didn't know
I'm sure there were things my mother didn't know
But sometimes that's how you protect yourself
By...not allowing yourself
To know things...

But, and I don't know if this makes any sense--
I'd like somebody to know

In this case, you
A stranger
The fact that you're a stranger
It helps

So please, take my money
And go find out
Whether or not I'm wrong
So you can come back
And tell me I am

All right?

Oh, and Mr. Orlando--Tom?

 I'm not wrong

I'd like to be
But I'm not

Now, how about some cake?

Goodness knows I have to do something
With all this cake

No comments:

Post a Comment