Sunday, January 12, 2014

Three Degrees

You want me to come back with you, huh?

Brought me a coffee and everything

Isn't that nice

That's nice

Wow

You know, making love in hotel rooms is easy

Nice dinners at restaurants paid for by that company you work for, that's great

Late night movies

And driving around the city

Like it's someplace else

Like it's not where I live

Like I'm a stranger here too

That's fun

That's all fun

But see, all this--?

This is a vacation

For you and for me

And if I go back with you, the vacation is over

We're not going back to another vacation

We're going back as a real thing

Will there still be late night movies and restaurants and Sundays where we just lay in bed naked and tell each other stories?

Eventually I'm going to run out of stories

Old stories anyway

New ones you'll be there for you, so I won't be able to tell you those

We won't be--

We've been acting like kids, you know?

And we're not kids

I'm not a kid

I mean, this has all been fun, but--

There's an element of--I don't know--pretend--to it

What happens when we have to stop pretending?

I mean, can we stop now?

Can we just stop now, just for tonight, since you're leaving tomorrow?

Can we try to have an honest night

Where we actually talk to each other

And act like this is something that needs to...

Be something before it can't be anything

Because...

Jesus, it's freezing out

It's three degrees out there

And we're in here

In this car

This rental car

And it's nice

But you have to give it back

Do you get that?

Do you get that this car isn't yours?

This place isn't yours

Nothing's yours

I'm not yours

It's three degrees out

And you want to take me home with you

Like I'm a souvenir that you can just put in your carry-on

And that can't happen

I can't go with you

But I'd like a night

I'd like a real night

To see what it would be like

If I did

Can we do that?

Do you think we can make that happen?

That's something

I'd really like

No comments:

Post a Comment