Friday, January 20, 2012

A Brighter Hell

I'll take this, you know
Because it's a brighter hell

You ever hear that expression?

I'm livin' in a brighter hell?

Well, that's what this is

It's warm, but it's not scorching
I'm not scorched here
I'm not melting
From the inside out

So I'll take it

I'll take it
And I'll like it

Used to live in the city
Where I was dealing with rats
Always rats

Didn't matter where I lived
There were rats

It was like a witch put a curse on me
Or something

And I hate rats
I mean I fuckin' hate rats

So that was a problem

Plus the money
I never had any money

You ever work three jobs
Two of them full-time
And not have any money?

It's an odd way to live

It's like some sort of paradox
Like I'm in a George Orwell book or something

It wasn't for me

So I moved to the country
And it's quiet

And in two days
I'm out of my fucking head

Because one of those days was Friday
And the other one was Saturday

And when you're livin' in a place
Where you say--

'What's there to do around here?'

And the answer is--

'You're already doing it'

Then you start to think

Hey, maybe those rats
Weren't so bad

But it's a nice place for Sundays
I'll tell you that much

The Sundays here are great
That's how you know you're in Hell

Because you start appreciating
The days of rest

And work, of course

There's always work

I miss my Fridays
And I miss my Saturdays
And, when I lived somewhere real good
I used to even have good Thursdays

If you can make your life
Stretch out from Wednesday to Sunday
Then you know you're living
Somewhere good

But it costs, you know

It costs

So for now I choose this
My brighter hell

Here's hoping
It doesn't get
Any hotter
Than this

No comments:

Post a Comment