Monday, January 30, 2012

Dust

Just come and sit for a second
I want to talk to you

Don't worry about getting your pants dirty
They're pants

If God wanted them to stay clean
He would have had us
Wear them on our heads

Even there, things get dirty
Your hair's always dirty, isn't it?

Mine was too
When I was your age

When you're a kid
All you want to do
Is find dirt to play in

When you get older
You don't need to look for dirt

Dirt comes looking for you

See that man down there?

Walking up this way
In his nice suit
With a stack of papers in his hands?

That man's never looked bad in his life
But trust me
He's as dirty as they come

Some people are just better
At hiding their dirt
Than others

When he gets a little closer
I'm going to fire a shot at him

I'm not going to shoot him
I'm going to try not to shoot him
Which, considering his size
Is actually going to be more of a challenge

He'll run off
And come back with police
And they'll take me away
And take you
Who knows where

That's if we were to stick around
Which we're not

I guess my brother
And that wife of his
Have stopped drinking long enough
To decide that--

Yes, they would like a son to raise

And my little baby-sitting job for them is over

Well, all I have to say to that is--

You're six years too late

Now, I want you to sit here with me for a minute
Just before I fire this gun

And then everything's going to be different

So let's just enjoy this moment

You in your nice, clean pants
Me and the house I built from scratch
And that man down there
Who thinks he's coming
To take you away from me

Just sit and listen to it

That great 'before'

Before everything
Turns to dust

No comments:

Post a Comment