Monday, January 16, 2012

Elaborate Days

I'm out of paper
To write things down on

I'm out patience
I'm out of medicine

And I still got thirteen hours
'Til the sun comes up

If it comes up
If it comes up at all

These here are elaborate days
So easy to get lost
So easy to lose your pace

So one day you wake up
To the absence of a ringing telephone

Or that you're older
Or that you're on your own

Can you be my
Steady star
In a summer sky

Can you give me something
I can judge my location by

Can you tell me where I am?

I go to places that I've been
Trying to find forgotten friends

Trying to see
Where I went wrong

I got books I'm never going to read
Faith in which I can't believe

Can't somebody help me?
Can't somebody get me
Past these
Elaborate days

Keep your nickels
Keep your pennies
Keep your wishes to yourself

Second place trophies
Don't interest me no more

I got marks from where the hits went
And darts to throw at pictures
Of myself

That's what's on my shelf

I'm a dreamer
And a fuck-up
And a prince
And a coward

An insomniac
Who keeps falling asleep

Where'd the sun go
It was here just then
Did you see it?

Did you see it?

...or did I make believe it?

The day goes on and on and on
And never seems to go away

The problem is
They're neverending

These elaborate days

No comments:

Post a Comment