Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gratuitious

I found the violence
To be gratuitous

I realize it's a war movie
But there must be a tasteful way
To depict war

Honestly, for years
You could go see a film
Or turn on the television
And never have to worry
About being affronted
With such unpleasantness

Now, it seems impossible

Everybody seems to be
Creeping towards depravity

That's how it happens, you know

Not in big bursts
But in quiet inches

That's how great things fall

Dignity, civility, society

And people say they can't tell
How it happens

Rubbish

It's easy to tell

It happens when the unnecessary
Becomes celebrated

Everyone thinks because I'm over the age of twenty
That everything offends me

That I'm fragile
And weak-minded

As if I haven't experienced life

If anything, older people are less likely to be shocked
What we dislike
Is being bombarded
With gratuitous things

Sex, profanity, violence

It's not that I'm offended by it
In some cases, it isn't even foreign to my experience

I simply value what's essential
What's necessary

Everything else
Assaults my aesthetic sensibilities

You see, and I hate to use this expression, but--

In my day
We valued simplicity

We didn't need as much
As you all do now

What we used to dream of
Things that would have seemed like privileges
You all now claim to need like air

One day you'll get it
You'll get all you need
And then what will you do?

Find even more shocking things
To drown yourselves in?

I'm glad I won't be around to see that

With any luck
I'll be long gone by then

No comments:

Post a Comment