Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My Good Deed

Yes, I'm watching her now
The little girl who just ran through here?

She's in my care
Staying at my house
Another bird under the wing
As they say

Well, some people say that
I say that anyway

Her mother is a heroin addict
And a complete mess


The second part may sound redundant
But my brother is addicted to heroin
And he manages to keep it under control
But not Maya's mother
She's just falling apart

So of course I had to come in
And rescue poor Maya

I mean, what other choice did I have?

As a good Christian woman
It would have been shirking my duty
To let that poor innocent child
Stay in that home
With her whoring mother
And all the men going in and out of--

Well, I assume she was whoring
I mean, she doesn't work
How else would she be paying for the drugs?

Look, I don't have time to argue semantics
About whether or not some poor little girl's mother
Is a professional whore
Or a recreational one
I'm a little too busy
With actually raising the child
Something I doubt you have any experience in

Oh, I'm aware that you have children
I'm just saying I'm not entirely sure I would call what you did
'Raising' them

Not to mention, they were probably much easier to deal with
Than Maya is

She's practically an animal at this point

Jesus himself would thrown his hands up
And jumped in the nearest river
If he had to deal with her for a day
But luckily for me
I'm made of sterner stuff than that

The plan isn't to adopt her permanently, of course
I'm a little too old to be raising a child
Especially one as unbearable as this one
And besides, who knows what she'll grow up to be like

What with all the trauma she's experienced

Children are very sensitive, you know
Anything around them
Just gets sucked right into their psyches

So obviously
Maya is probably damaged beyond repair

I tell her that all the time

I say, 'Maya, I know you're the child of an addict
And you're probably not even sure who your father is
Btu that doesn't mean you can't rise above
Your current condition'

Of course, she's only six
So some of that doesn't make sense to her
But again, the mind is a sponge
Some of it is bound to sink in

Well, we have to be off
Time for church

I have to see if I can squeeze a little
Christian goodness
Into that awful lost soul of hers

You know what they say about good deeds, don't you?

Well, believe me

They're right

No comments:

Post a Comment