Monday, January 16, 2012

Someone In the Kitchen

All I really want
Is someone in the kitchen

Like, it's weird
Because, I'm lonely
Because, you know
I'm alone

But, I have a phone
And I have numbers in the phone
The numbers of people
Who would come keep me company
If I asked them to

There are people
Who would come by
At three in the morning
If I needed them to

What I'm saying is
I have no reason to feel lonely
And yet I do
I feel unspeakably lonely
And yet I don't want to see anyone
I don't want to spend time with anyone
I open up my phone
And there's no one in it
I want to talk to

It's like being hungry
But not knowing
What you're hungry for

You know what I miss?

Every year
Before Thanksgiving
I would go to bed
With my mom in the kitchen
Making something for the next day

We did Thanksgiving at my grandmother's house
So it was quiet the night before
Aside from Mom making
That one last-minute whatever

And it was comforting

Falling asleep with someone else awake
Knowing somebody else was up
Filling the house with life

That's what I miss

Being in the living room
Watching tv

Or being in bed
Reading
Or drifting off

And knowing that someone's up

Someone's in the kitchen
Or taking a shower
Or shoveling snow off the front walkway

It's just enough

Because sometimes I need to be alone
Honestly, I sort of like being alone

But I like having someone nearby too

I like knowing
That someone's there
If I need them

Just waiting
In the next room

No comments:

Post a Comment