Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I Want It To Be Yours

Listen, this ain't about parent and child
Ain't I been a good parent?
Ain't I done my job?
Ain't I?

This ain't a parent and child issue
And not because you're grown now either
Because I don't believe in grown and not grown
You're my kid
So you'll never be grown to me
Grown ain't what I'm talking about

I'm talking about something that's mine
That's all mine

Music, playing
It's the only thing
I was ever any good at

And when I had you
I stopped doing it
And that was wrong

Even though getting another kind of job
Meant we had a little more money
We had a lot less happiness
So I should have stuck with music

And maybe you wouldn't have had as many toys
But you would have had a happier me
And maybe that would have been better for you
Hard to tell, I guess
But I don't think it's a good idea
To give up what you love for your children
Because you think the fact that you love them more
Will stop you from resenting them one day

I don't resent you
But the only reason
Is because I'm starting again
I'm starting to play again

I have to do something for me now
Because I used to think you were for me
And you're not
You're not for anybody
But yourself

People will tell you that's wrong
But it's not
Because those people don't say
Whether or not they want their children
To belong to their grandchildren
They don't think of it that way

But I did
And I don't want that for you
I didn't raise you to be my grandchildren's
Whole life and being

I want you to have your own life
Your own being
Your own soul

I want your joy to be yours
Not someone else's

Not something someone else
Gives to you

And you gotta teach your children that too one day

That they gotta be able
To give themselves joy

They can't wait on you for it

We all have to have our own thing

And that's what I want you for you
And that's not a parent child thing

That's just about what each of us as people
Not as parents and children
But as people
Need to do
To be our own selves

And I want that for me
And I want that for you too

I want it to be yours

Whatever it is

I want it
To be all yours

No comments:

Post a Comment