Friday, January 6, 2012

The Simplicity of Showing Up

I'm picking him
Because he's boring as hell
And I need that

You excite me
You turn me on
You make every part of my body
Feel as if it's on fire

What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

A person can't live
Feeling like they're on fire

Eventually, no matter how intriguing the fire is
You're going to want somebody
To put it out

That's what he is

He's the hose
That put out
Your fire

Oh, don't get dirty
You know what I mean

See, I want to have kids one day
And even though you may be exactly what I'm looking for in a man
You're the last thing I'm looking for in a father

I don't want my kids to have chase you
The way I have to chase you
To get you to notice them
To pry that smile of approval out of your lips
To hope you're where you're supposed to be
When you're supposed to be there

That's fine for me
Because I like a challenge
Because being dumb makes me feel young
But I'm not giving that to a kid
And telling them it's a father
When we both know it's not

I'm picking him because he's patient

He'll make popsicle stick ashtrays
And Lego fortresses
And science projects
And treehouses
And he'll love every minute of it

You?

You'd get bored

You're always bored
You're bored now

The love of your life
Is standing here
Telling you
She's taking off
With another guy

And all you're thinking about
Is how elaborate you can be
While you're trying to get me back

When really
All you'd have to do
Is show up

See, it's so simple
And you can't do it

And he can

He can appreciate the simplicity
And effectiveness
Of showing up

And that's why
I'm picking him

No comments:

Post a Comment