Monday, January 2, 2012

Why Will It Work With Me?

"So what did you think of Amy?"
"Uh, she's...She's nice."
"Well, I'm glad you like her."
"Yeah, I am too."
"It's just nice to have the girl I'm currently dating and the girl I was dating get along, because, you know, Amy and I are still really close."
"Yeah, we--it's--She's great."
"Yeah, she's really cool."
"No, I mean, she's great.  Like, she's honestly really great.  I...I'm kind of...um..."
"Oh honey, no!  That's not what I meant to have happen!  I didn't want you to feel jealous or anything.  I feel absolutely nothing for her anymore.  I mean, we're friends, but that's it."
"No, no, I believe you.  I guess I just...I'm confused."
"About what?"
"Why you broke up with her."
"Oh well, I just didn't like her anymore."
"Yeah, but...why?"
"Well, uh, I don't know.  I just...stopped."
"Uh huh."
"But then I started liking you.  So...See how that wound up working out for you?  For me, I mean--for us?"
"I'm just sort of concerned that you randomly stopped liking such an amazing person.  I mean, did she say she built schools in Haiti?"
"Jamaica, actually.  She probably should have built them in Haiti.  They probably need them more there. So see?  Not such a good thing."
"And she's so funny.  She had everybody laughing--"
"I know, annoying, right?  I mean, like, if I wanted to laugh I'd date Carrot Top!"
"You think Carrot Top is funny?"
"I just picked, you know, a random--"
"And did she really run into that burning building when the--"
"Look, she was nice, but it just didn't work."
"But everyone at the party tonight loved her.  My friend, Jen, who I brought loved her, and Jen hates everybody.  I'm her best friend and she even hates me.  And she LOVES Amy."
"And I didn't, but I love you."
"But what if you stop loving me?"
"I won't."
"How do you know?"
"Because I just know."
"Did you think you'd love Amy forever?"
"Of course, or I wouldn't have stayed with her."
"So you're saying it's possible that you could stop loving me."
"Well, I mean, I guess, yeah, I guess it's possible.  But it's also possible that you could stop loving me."
"No, it's not.  I've never stopped loving anyone.  I'm always the break-up-ee, and the person I'm dating is always doing the break-up-er, and I liked you, initially, because you also seemed like a break-up-ee, but clearly you're not, because if I had an Amy, I would certainly not break up with her."
"People are complicated, okay?  Emotions are tricky.  Relationships are difficult."
"You're just spouting random platitudes."
"I know, but that's all I got."
"Why will it work with me if it didn't work with her?  Just answer me that, and I'll feel better.  Answer me with something concrete that isn't 'I don't know, it just will.'"
"It just will, I don't know."
"You realized you just reversed what I asked you not to tell me and then told it to me, right?"
"I was hoping you wouldn't notice."
"Are you saying you're sure with me?"
"I mean, I'm--I'm as sure as I've felt since..."
"Since Amy?"
"Since the last time I was sure."
"That's...not...at all...comforting.  Like, in any way."
"I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do."
"Well then...Well then, I don't know."
"You don't know?"
"I don't know."
"Okay."
"I feel like--Like you can't stay in something--a relationship--you can't stay in a relationship if you don't know it's going to work."
"But who ever knows, I mean, really?  Like who ever really knows?"
"I don't know."
"You keep saying--"
"I know!  I don't know!  I just...I don't know."
"So let's just...take that chance, okay?"
"It's, like, a huge chance, you know?"
"Yeah, but--what else can we do?"
"She was better than me."
"She wasn't--"
"No, she was.  She was better than me.  And that's okay.  Certain people are better than me, but..."
"But?"
"How are you supposed to believe you're going to do better than someone who's better than you?  How can anybody believe that?"
"I..."
"Yeah.  I don't know either."

No comments:

Post a Comment