Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You're Not Always Supposed to Like Your Wife

The thing about you is
You seem to have this funny idea
That you're supposed to
Like your wife

That is a dangerous idea, son
Ideas like that
Could ruin a marriage

Expecting to life your wife
And her to like you
Is exactly the sort of thing
That makes people feel like they're not as happy
As they could be
When in reality
They're as happy
As they're gonna get

Do you think I always like your mother?

Now, think about that

You know your mother
Do you like her all the time?

Of course not
So why should I?

And I like that lunatic you married
Even less
Than the one I married

That's not abnormal, son

Liking who you're married to
Is like winning the lottery

It's not likely
And you probably don't know anybody
Who's experienced it

The point isn't to like people

That's your problem
You're always trying
To like people

Hell, I don't like anybody

I don't like my friends
I don't like boss
I don't like your mother
And most of the time
I don't like you all that much either

Everybody tosses that word around--

'Like'

As if love's not good enough

When I was growing up
Love was all

We didn't have 'like'

You didn't think about
Whether or not
Somebody liked you

My father thought if too many people liked you
It either meant you were phony
Or dull
Or both

And I didn't like him all that much
And that's okay

Because I loved him
And I love you
And I love your mother
And you love your wife

And the sooner you learn
To take that
And put some value in it
And not worry so much
About the comings and goings
Of what it is you like
The happier you'll be

Now finish your coffee

Yeah, I know they made it wrong

Drink it anyway

You gotta learn to like
The thing that's sitting
Right in front of you

No comments:

Post a Comment