Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When Dork Became a Sexy Word

Sweetie, you'll never believe this
But there will come a day
Trust me on this--

When dork becomes a sexy word

Right now, you want that mysterious
Cool, hard-to-name something

When you're young
Everything without a name
Is attractive

When you get older
You get tired
You find it tiresome
To have to constantly search
For a thing's name

You want people to wear who they are
Like a name tag on their shirt

You begin to appreciate simplicity
You begin to appreciate a lot of things

I know right now
You look at your father
And me
And you think we're just
The least cool people in the world
But what you don't know
Is that I thought the same thing about my mother
And now--

And if you tell her this
I'll kill you

She seems like
The coolest person
In the world

And my Dad
Was a giant dork
Model trains in the basement
And everything

And I swore
I would never marry anybody
As lame as he was

When I got older
After dating every degenerate
And paroled felon
In the tri-state area
I realized that there's something to be said
For a man who enjoys the precision of model trains
And who spends his nights at home
With his family

That's not the coolest thing in the world
But it makes for a good marriage
And a good man

And an ungrateful child
Who, luckily
Smartened up just in time

One day you'll smarten up too
But until then--

And don't tell anyone
I ever told you this
Because I'll deny it
And disown you as well

Until you get smart
Enjoy being dumb

The dorks will be waiting
When you're ready for them

No comments:

Post a Comment